Saturday, June 13, 2009

Lovely Day

This summer we've had extraordinarily beautiful weather. Last summer was cloudy and rainy, so I'm loving the opportunity to enjoy my deck. We spent a lot of money on it, and Bill thoroughly enjoys just sitting out there surveying whatever it is men survey when they sit on the deck.

Last Sunday Bill, Cassandra and I spent nearly the entire day outside in the backyard. Anyone who knows me knows I don't go outside too often. Even though we have beautiful summers, we also have mosquitos the size of garbage trucks. They've been known to carry away small family pets and the stray unattended child. Bill put up several tiki torches filled with citronella fuel to help keep them away (the mosquitos, not the stray unattended child). It seems to help, but then there's the weather. Usually, it's not warm enough for me to stay outside for more than half an hour. The sun has to be out in full force for me to be comfortable out there.

Last Sunday was Absolutely Perfect. We had breakfast on the deck, and I stayed out there awhile looking over the shrubs and flowers. I had also planted some romaine lettuce and celery in containers, and I checked to make sure they were doing OK. Before long it was time for lunch, so once again we ate outside. It started getting hot, so I put on my shorts and Cassandra and I played with her bubbles. We hadn't done that in a long time, and we had a blast trying to assault Bill with bubbles!

After that, Cassandra went inside to do whatever it is she does, and I stayed outside just enjoying the sun. Our thermometer steadily climbed until it got to 88 degrees. Towards 4pm, I got a pitcher full of ice water and a towel so I could periodically cool myself off. I finally went in about 5pm because I was burning up and had had my fill of nature.

I'm not overly fond of hot weather. I could never live in the South where they have heat AND humidity. When we travel South, I'm completely miserable. The air up here is very dry, and it seldom gets above 75-80. Last Sunday was a perfect combination of warmth and opportunity to enjoy it.

PhotobucketPhotobucket


3 comments:

  1. I love the look of your deck and garden, Dion. If we were closer, I'd invite myself over to sit about on it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah but see, if you live closer you'd have already been invited! :O)

    ReplyDelete